Oakdale opened in February 2009 and is owned and managed by a local company, Oakdale Nursing Home Ltd with Valerie Moore as the General Manager and Registered Provider.
Avril Finnerty is Director of Nursing and is responsible for the day to day running of our Nursing Home. We are located in the town of Portarlington just off the Tullamore Road, adjacent to the secondary school, Colaiste Iosagain. We are a five-minute walk from St. Michael’s Church, in close proximity to shops, pubs, restaurants, local football pitch and ten minutes’ drive from Emo Court and Gardens.
We recognise that moving to a Nursing Home on a permanent basis can be a difficult decision for most people. Many are apprehensive and wonder how they will feel in new surroundings. We endeavour to make the move to Oakdale an enjoyable and enriching experience.
Oakdale Nursing Home is registered and approved by HIQA to cater for the needs of 58 residents both male and female. We are approved by all the leading Health Insurers, and provide care in the following categories:
- Convalescent Care: For those recovering after a hospital stay we will provide that bridge between home and hospital.
- Respite Care: Offering short term relief to families by providing care for your loved one.
- Long Term Care: We will provide a supportive home from home caring environment for those in need of extended care.
- Post-Operative Care: We provide post-operative care to ensure recovery and planned discharge home.
- Palliative Care: We work closely with the resident, families and the Laois/Offaly Palliative care nurses in planning palliative care.
- Dementia Care: We provide individualised care to those residents with Dementia, and we believe the symptoms of dementia are needs to be met, not problems to be managed